August 24, 2019

 Directory is available HERE.

 


SUNDAY

  • Worship 10:00
  • Sunday School at 10:20
  • Fellowship at 11:00             in theRogers Room.

 

 

Office: 541-276-7681

Members Login



History

The First Presbyterian Church of Pendleton, Oregon, received 26 acres of land in the Blue Mountains from the Harrah family in the summer of 1940. Over the years, the property was developed into a rustic summer camp for children and youth, and a picnic site for adults and families.


In 1961, Martha Terney gave her 1600-acre wheat ranch, located west of Pendleton, for the future development and maintenance of Westminster Woods in memory of her daughter Lillian. Forrest Harrah donated $100,000 to Westminster Woods through his estate in 1985, with half endowed for future maintenance.


The Church purchased 7.8 acres to the northwest in spring of 1994. Later in 1994, Betty Brunette gave 31 acres on the west side, resulting in the current camp and conference center property covering 66 acres.


Several interesting stories about Westminster Woods have appeared in the Pendleton newspaper, the East Oregonian. Here is a full-page story from the EO that appeared on Monday, August 6, 1951; notice how many important names from Pendleton of that era are mentioned (DeSpain and others).

Here is a short article from the EO that appeared on March 21, 2004.

For a more detailed history of Westminster Woods and its development, refer to the following Westminster Woods History document.

For an interesting article about the history and development of the Emigrant Springs area, where Westminster Woods is located, refer to the following Emigrant Springs Article.

Connected Word - Websites for the Faith Community